The Classics: X Minus One | The Verge

The Classics: X Minus One | The Verge


The Classics are must-see, must-read, must-play works revered by The Verge staff. They offer glimpses of the future, glimpses of humanity, and a glimpse of our very souls. You should check them out.
Here’s something I bet you never do: listen to AM radio.
THE BEST STORIES ARE AN EXPERIENCE WHICH FALLS SOMEWHERE BETWEEN READING AN ENGROSSING BOOK AND WATCHING A TELEVISION SHOWWhen I was in college and then in graduate school, I had a hard time getting to sleep, and unsurprisingly, a hard time waking up. For both of these reasons, I slept with a giant clock radio beside me in bed. The alarm was loud, but if it was beside me it was even more effective, plus, I got to listen to the radio at night. I favored Coast to Coast AM, but quickly discovered many other gems that played on the same station (I think it was KDKA but I’m not sure anymore) when Coast to Coast wasn’t on. There was some old guy who did nothing but ask trivia questions and riddles that listeners sent in. He’d read them slowly, then just talk about any old thing that came into his head while he waited for someone to call in with the right answer. He once asked a question about the writers of Casablanca (twin brothers Julius and Irving Epstein) and I listened anxiously as countless old people called in and gave the wrong answer. I finally got up and out of bed and called in with the right one. There was no prize, and I could find the answer to any one of his questions in ten seconds now, but Wikipedia — well, it existed I think, but no one listening would have thought to use it. The thing I remember best, and loved the most, was when they replayed old timey radio plays.